Tuesday, October 26, 2010

49th Day of School Lunch or Not?


49th Day of School Lunch
 I heard the news report this morning that it was very windy and that there was a tornado watch until 11:00 am.  The wind did this damage here and that damage there, yada yada.  Hello, we live in Chicago, so what it's windy.  And all this mess about a tornado watch, has nothing to do with me.  I got out of bed and proceeded to go about my morning routine.  When it was closer to the time for us to leave, daddy said that it was really raining out.  Yeah yeah, I heard the news.

We are running a little late, as usual, but prepare ourselves for the rain.  I pull out of the garage, and realize I still didn't buy new windshield wipers.  No worries, we're late but I'll go slow and we will arrive safe.  Half way to the school it starts raining cats and dogs.  So I ask Mani if he thinks anyone from the parent patrol will be outside directing traffic today.  He says no I don't think so, but wouldn't it be cool if there was no school today.  I say no it will be school today, there may not be many students there but school is open.  Remember, last year when it snowed really bad and school was still open and it was just a few students in your class.  He says yeah, but it would be nice if school was closed.

We pull up and to both our surprise there is the parent patrol.  I think , God bless these parents because even if I had time, it wouldn't be me out in this rain.  There are two cars in front of us, Mani gets out.  As Mani is getting out of the car I see a child going back to the first car, oh he must have forgot something.  Then Mani stops and comes back and opens the door.  What's wrong? You forget something?  He hops in the car and says the man said school is closed today.

We truck through the heavy rain and slightly flooded streets back home.  As I'm driving Mani starts making plans for our day,  I'm sorry honey I have to go to work. You see all these cars out here, work doesn't stop just because school is closed.  By the time I pull  in the driveway the rain has stopped.  I drop Mani off to daddy and proceed to work.  Although the rain has stopped traffic is unbelievable.  I live maybe three blocks from the expressway entrance ramp and it took me 20 minutes to make it on to the expressway.

At 8:36 a.m. my phone rings, I don't know the number.  I answer. Hello? Hello? "This is an automated message, due to a power outage there will be no school today.....".  Gee thanks, only 46 minutes after school was suppose to start, but nice to know why school was closed.

So Mani will enjoy this lunch at home today.  Grapes, an apple, pumpkin shaped pie crust (I thought I had some spray that would make him orange and most of  his stem broke off this morning), and cat and star shaped soy nut butter and jelly sandwiches.  I had planned to use the ghost cutter I found yesterday for a $1 but it was too big for Mani's bread : [

1 comment:

Elizabeth. said...

I get messages about school cancellations all the time after school time has already started. GRRRRR. And there is a spider in your child's lunchbox. lol. Great post, I really enjoyed it.